Estate Planning Strategies for Older Clients (Deathbed Planning)
A partner with Plante Moran, Brian applies his legal and tax expertise to the asset-protection and tax-minimization needs of families, closely-held businesses, philanthropic individuals, and not-for-profit organizations.
A faculty member at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Brian brings an educator’s mindset and down-to-earth style to his client engagements. He uses these skills to clarify complex tax and wealth-transfer concepts and offer tactical next steps, and he applies his tax expertise to his clients’ challenges and opportunities through:
- Navigating income, payroll, and estate tax rules for closely held and family business
- Designing strategies for attracting and retaining key employees for exempt as well as for-profit organizations
- Protecting an organization’s exempt status and minimizing unrelated business income tax (UBIT) as well as penalties that can result from excess benefits
- Assessing and minimizing foreign tax withholding requirements on payments to foreign individuals and organizations
- Establishing and managing private foundations in a tax-efficient manner
Numerous CPA, bar, financial planning, and other trade associations invite Brian to speak on income, estate, and not-for-profit tax issues. He has a B.A. from Northwestern University, a JD from IIT/Chicago–Kent College of Law, and an LLM in Taxation from IIT/Chicago-Kent.